Search This Blog

Monday, April 21, 2014

Mother's Day Wonderland Bag

It has been a crazy week. The sewing room was neglected quite a bit this past week and my triangle quilt is sadly no further along. I did manage to buy the backing fabric, but it's been put on the back burner for the moment.

As my itchy fingers couldn't just sew nothing this week, I decided to tackle the Wonderland bag from Sara Lawson's Big City Bags. I knew I wanted to make a bag for my mom for Mother's Day and this bag looks like something she would normally carry. It turned out fairly well. I had a little trouble with the bottom fitting in just right, so it's not prefect. I had to modify it a bit too, since I don't do bias strips if at all possible. This bag design calls for piping which looks adorable on the sample bags...but I wasn't going near it. So, I made some side pockets with accents and an accent strip across the handle tabs.  I just had to use these freakin' adorable braided handles. The bag has great shape and structure. It reminds me of an old-time lunch box for some reason. I think she'll like it. Still hoping to make a matching wallet and an overnight bag for mom in the next few weeks, but at least this is all ready to go!




I'll be linking up to Sew-Jo Saturday (better late than never!) and the Big City Bags SAL at Sewing with Squeak I've been following the SAL since the beginning, but this is the first bag I've actually gotten made from the book!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful Bags! Absolutely love the print! Great job, and thanks for sharing!

    Jess (a.k.a. Rosie)
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your modifications!! I had trouble with the bottom panel fitting as well. Glad to see you were able to make it work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love your version of the bag! Those outside pockets are pretty sweet too! Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your bag came out, I hope your mum loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! Your mom will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this bag is just gorgeous! Love your fabric and all those beautiful details. Very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad I'm not the only one who gets less than 'prefect' results but great bags!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List