Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Summersault Aragon Bag

Mother's Day is this coming Sunday and I have a great mom. I made an everyday bag for her that I blogged about here Mother's Day Bag She has loved it so far, but what she really needed was a new overnighter. My husband and I are very lucky that she lives close enough to stay the night and help with the kids when we need some adult time. So I decided to make her an Aragon bag from Sew Sweetness I've made one other Aragon Bag, so I knew it was a great pattern. The only thing I changed on mom's bag was to use Soft and Stable for the interfacing. The first time I used my stand by combo of decor-bond followed by fusible fleece. I think I prefer the traditional interfacing. Soft and Stable is nice for some projects, but I don't care for it around zippers so much. It is nice not having to fuse all those pieces together though, that is one of my least favorite steps.

This bag was made using one of my all-time favorite fabric lines- Summersault by Erin McMorris. It's from FreeSpirit and I have been hoarding it in 3 colorways for just the right project. The solid is called "Grass" and I think it's an RJR, but I could be wrong about that. It came in my "No Prints Allowed" club stack last month and matches perfectly. Love it when that happens! I also added purse feet to this bag and let me be honest...I LUV purse feet. Definitely my new favorite hardware, Really adds a little more professionalism to the project.

The only problem I ran into, yet again, was my nemesis.....BIAS BINDING. Oh how I loathe thee!!!
I have come to the conclusion that the only way I can make bias binding look good is to hand sew every inch of it. When I use my machine, it just shifts and pulls off the seams, causing me so much frustration. Next time...I will commit to hand sewing before I ever get to that point. Sara Lawson actually comments that you may want to make the bag with the binding on the outside. Uh, no way. All my "professionalism" would be down the toilet if I tired that!  I'm grateful it's on the inside and mostly hidden by seams.







So Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there! I'm back to work tomorrow, so minimal (if any) sewing for Betsy. After next week though I have 3 whole weeks off...wo-hoo!!! Hoping to get lots crossed off the to-do list. Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List