Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Welcome Bella and Olivia to the Bubblegum family!

I have been quite busy the last few weeks, but I finally managed to finish my Bella bag and Olivia bag from Chris W Designs

These patterns are my first from Christine, and they did not disappoint. I would say the Olivia is a little more advanced and I have to admit those front pockets had me scratching my head several times. I always print my patterns in black and white and I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do to make those pockets look right. Once I referenced the color pictures on line, it made more sense. They were just "fiddly". Fiddly is a new word in our house. I recently had to explain what it meant to my husband when he asked how I could be working on my bag for several hours and only have one pocket made. I said, this pattern is  "fiddly". And he replied with a confused stare. So now, he knows what fiddly means and although the Olivia has some fiddly spots, it was well worth the effort. I love the finished bag. I love this print (which I found in my stash from probably 3 years ago) I love the lining. I love the patch  zipper pocket inside (how cool is that idea??!?!?) It's a great size too, a new favorite. The only modification I made was to omit the rivets. Chris seems to really like rivets. I see them featured in a lot of her bags. I'm just not a big fan. I love the other metal hardware on Olivia though. The little rings are a great eye-catching feature.

My nieces were kind enough to help me with some photos for Christine's photo contest that is going on now. She was looking for photos of her bags with people for a better reference of size, etc... Hannah served as my model and Rachel was the photographer. They are only 17 and 12 respectively, but look at the great job they did!I take notoriously awful photos, so I feel very lucky to have a budding photographer in the family. Here are Rachel's photos of Olivia....




 And my awful photos of the back and inside.

 The Bella bag went together much quicker. It's more intermediate and super cute. I love the big patch pocket featured on the front. Bella uses grommets, which I have never installed and they tripped me up a little. Mostly because I couldn't find any locally! I had to order from an etsy shop in China. I was so afraid they wouldn't get here in time, but they showed up with a few days to spare. I'm quite fond of them now. It's a nice professional touch that I don't see a lot of other designers using. I also like the "clank-clank" noise they make against the handle hardware. It really is the little things in the world that make me smile.

Here are Rachel's pics of Bella...




And my sad shots of the back and inside. As you can see, I loved this one so much, I'm already using it. It's not a huge bag, but holds plenty. I will be making this one again soon. I ordered extra grommets so I'll be ready!


So I'm just left to choose my entries for the photo contest and then I can move on to my next project. I have one other ChrisWDesigns pattern from the Bag of the Month Club. I may have to try that one next. I found her pictures and instructions to be clear and well written. Her designs are fun and unique too, I may even try some rivets.

Linking up to Show Off Saturday

2 comments:

  1. GREAT work Betsy....and the photos are super fabulous too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it nice to have some photographic help, my 4 yr. old daughter took pictures for me. Beautiful bags both of them.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List