Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Michael Miller MQG Fabric Challenge Sping Sling

I finally finished my MQG Michael Miller fabric challenge! After several failed ideas, a sweet little bag pattern called the Spring Sling landed in my inbox. It's designed by Janelle MacKay of Emmaline Bags
Her patterns are amazing-  innovative, fun, and easy to follow. Once I saw this pattern, I knew I could salvage my MQG challenge aspirations! I had very neutral feelings about the challenge fabric, Petal Pinwheels. It's just not something I would pick out on my own. However, I adore the Just My Type print that released around the same time. I had been wanting to make something using both of these fabrics, but my previous attempts are all just WIPs that will honestly never be touched again. The Spring Sling was a great success though! I love it!

Spring Sling front patchwork of HST


The pattern is well written, except for the minor error that the cutting directions call for one pocket piece when you actually need 4 pieces. Also, you need 2 zipper tabs and it tells you to cut only one. I was quite confused when I went to make the pocket and only had one piece to work with! Thankfully, I had enough fabric leftover to make it all work.

The HSTs took a little while to cut and piece together, but they make an adorable patchwork for the front. The bag is then put together like a quilt sandwich using the exterior, soft and stable, and the lining. All quilted however you like, add the gussets, and bind it together. It has a fun turn lock and grommets. The use of the grommets is really cool. The strap extenders sneak through them as they lay on the top of the bag. The zippered pocket is really smart too. It's made more like a zipper pouch then sewn onto the lining.


Top open, zippered pocket and straps through grommets


I'm also proud to say I conquered my fear of the bias binding! The curves on the gusset of the bag are tricky and I was cringing at the thought of binding them up, but it all worked out perfect. So happy!!! I really love this pattern and the finished bag. I'm already cutting into some Dreamin' Vintage for the next Spring Sling.

Another front view

Top flap open

Back view, this print is "Letterpress" from the Just My Type line for Michael Miller Fabrics

Another inside view

2 comments:

  1. Hi Betsy, you bag looks great! I'm so sorry about the bag had the wrong piece quantities! It wasn't like that in the magazine or the first edition, but when I edited my bullets, something went askew and I changed them to (1), but I'm so glad it was caught and fixed right away! Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. this came out awesome - I love the HSTs on the front! visiting from Bag Brag Tues - would love a visit back *wink*

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List