Search This Blog

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Swapping insanity

Things have been quiet on the blog, but the sewing machine has been mad crazy!

I discovered the wondrous world on online swapping recently and have been busily making all sorts of goodies for complete strangers. Sounds odd, doesn't it?  Well, I think I'm in love! It's incredibly fun. I really have enjoyed getting to know the people in these swaps and to try and make something unique for them that they will love. I've been the lucky recipient of several goodies too, which is also so much fun. Nothing like going to the mailbox and finding a handmade item that was made just for you! What could be more fun. Since pictures always say more than words, here are some pics of what I've been up to. It's also been nice to step out of my bag making consistency and try some new things, like mug rugs and owls!

For the Secret Tote Bag swap, I made a 241 Tote for a partner that likes pink:


I love how this pink ombre turned out with the black and white!

Inside is a fun little pieced pocket

Add who doesn't love a nice text print?

For the August Super Swap group, I made a Noodle-head divided basket for a partner that likes aqua, green, and orange. 


I used every last scrap of these fabrics to piece this together. 


For the Starbucks Mug Rug Swap, I made a Halloween themed rug for a special swap partner that shares my utter excitement for all things Halloweeny and Alexander Henry! She hasn't received this yet, but I think she'll love it and I have lots of extra goodies for her too. Like the little candy dish made from an awesome shimmery sugar skull pattern.

Love me some Alexander Henry!

It's hard to see, but this is quilted with metallic gold thread!

And a nice sugar skull is always welcome in my house!


Next I joined the Trick or Treat Halloween Bag swap and I came up with this cool spider-web like bag, plus an owl! The owl is so cute. I will be making many more of them. The pattern is called the Owl You Need Sewing Buddy and is available for free on Craftsy.  The bag is from SOTAK Handmade available here These bags are so cool. I'll be making more of them too. Super quick and easy to make as fun as you'd like. The bags popping up in the Flickr group are amazing!




The black owl goes with this package and the gray one goes with the next swap. 
Next was the Halloween basket swap. I made 2 of these baskets because I wasn't paying much attention when I made the first one. I used Alexander Henry's Pumpkin Patched fabric, which is one of my all time favorite Halloween patterns ever! But, afterwards, I remembered that my partner hates yellow and brown. Ooops. So I made the black and purple one for her. She loves purple, so hopefully that will be a winner. This pattern is from Birch Organics, I just added the handles. It really needs handles. It's a big basket and can hold a ton!

The basket plus extra goodies

Just basket

Here they are together. 

The pumpkin one that I get to keep!
                                     
Close up of the variegated thread that I used for the first time! LOVE! 
And finally I did a "Fox Swap" Where we were to make something foxy for a secret partner. My partner had only said that she likes mini quilts (which I don't really do), but would love anything. So I found some fun fox print and went to work. I ended up making the Reversible Bucket Tote by VeryShannon, an Essential Wristlet from Dog Under My Desk, a stuffed fox (too cute) and a Mystery Quilted Pillow from Jeni Baker. All of it turned out pretty well and I'm hoping my partner enjoys it. 


QAYG, never get tired of this technique!


Inside of the bucket tote...more foxes!

All the goods together

So I have been busy. I have a few more swaps I'm working on as well as the Miss Independent Bag for the Big City Bags SAL. Dear hubby is complaining that I may be neglecting him a bit for the Juki love, so I may need to slow down on the swapping a bit. It is very fun though and I am grateful to have found a new outlet for my creative juices to flow!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad I found your blog! I'm a very new sewer/quilter. I've only got one small quilt and one small drawstring bag under my belt. I'm ready to venture out into a bigger better project and I love all the bags you've made! I love the review and thoughts you give with each post. It's given me inspiration and the semi-confidence I need to try. Lol. I found a free pattern for a Kennedy bag. Do you think that is to advanced? Or do you have a suggestion on what my first "real" bag should be? I'm kinda nervous. Lol. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen- thanks for your comment! I can send you some great links to beginner friendly tutorials if you want to leave your email. You come up as a "no-reply" blogger on here so I can't contact you directly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your 241 tote.. I'm a big fan of black and white and text prints. And I gotta admit that I'm also somewhat of a closet "hot pink" fan ;-) Great looking bag!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List