Search This Blog

Monday, October 20, 2014

An Envelope Clutch and more Handmade Autumn

Today I am showing off some goodies I made for a Handmade Autumn swap that was organized over on Flickr. This swap was a little unique in that we knew who our partner was and discussed what would be created together. It was tons of fun! My partner had asked for something to decorate her home and she mentioned liking the modern maple quilt block. So I started by making a mini quilt using some gorgeous peppered cottons. It turned out fairly well, although I did have to redo the binding. I used a crazy flowered corduroy print that I have been hoarding forever and it got a little wonky on me the first time around.

I also wanted to make her a pillow that simply said "HOME" in a fall display. I knew I was going to have to paper piece the letters (scary!!!!) so I ventured online and found this pattern by Elizabeth Hartman. The result was exactly what I had hoped for!! I also now love paper piecing. It is not scary or intimidating, just make sure you cut your fabric scraps big enough! I had to make the "M" a couple times, but I feel great about the end product. I was going to use the corduroy again for the background, but felt it may be a little too much. Not sure how much retro 70s my partner wants, and this pillow was a total surprise for her. The fall fruit motif worked out perfect and I quilted some straight lines so it reminds me of an apple basket. I really hope she loves this!

As a last minute surprise gift, I decided to make a Noodle-head Envelope Clutch using some fun pear printed fabric from Robert Kauffman. I hadn't tried this pattern before, but it was excellent. Anna Graham from Noodle-head never lets me down. Her patterns are straight forward and well written with spot-on measurements. The only modification I made was to install my magnetic snaps before starting the construction. I'm not sure why she has you install the snap after sewing some main components together, seems unnecessarily challenging to me. I installed them while my lining was still free and had no difficulties. I love how it turned out and I will definitely be using this pattern again. I used soft and stable for my interfacing and it gave great shape and structure to the clutch. It would be good with batting or fusible fleece too if you want it a little "smooshier" I'm a bit of a Soft and Stable addict myself, so I have trouble using anything else.
front view laying on the backside of the Modern Maples mini

Another front view
Back view

Handmade label purchased from Joanns (I adore these things!)

Hanging clutch

Inside view, has a zippered pocket and credit card slips on a patch pocket (clever!)
And here are all the goods together. I also made a fabric basket using the fun corduroy print. I sent some Debrands chocolates and fat-eighths of the peppered cottons to wrap up the swap, handmade autumn style!

I will also be linking this post up to Purse Palooza over at Sew Sweetness If you're interested in bag making you really need to check Sara Lawson's blog out. I was first introduced to PDFs patterns by this event last year and it seriously has changed my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List