Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2014

A pair of matching bags

Last weekend my mom visited and was kind enough to watch ours boys for a while. I think that deserves a new bag! I don't know what we would do without her, she is so helpful in our lives. I had made her a bag for mother's day and she requested something similar, with a light lining so she could see inside easily. I let her browse my stash a bit and she picked a great floral print with a navy background.

I dug through the patterns and thought I might give Date Night a try. I have loved this pattern ever since Erin from Dog Under My Desk started prototyping it, but I hadn't had a chance to make one. Overall it is a great pattern! The zipper installation is very different from what I'm used to, but it's not difficult and makes a nice smooth top. Erin's patterns tend to be flawless. It's no surprise to me that the pockets are perfect in this bag. They are just the right size and placed in just the right spots. The handle is a great length so you can carry on the shoulder or not. I really love the bag!

                   

Inside, full of my stuff!

Only problem -it's a bit smaller that I had anticipated. I didn't think my mom would care for the littleness of it. I decided to keep it for myself. I'm using it now and it really is fabulous. I'm pretty excited to make another one...but I still needed a gift for mom.

So I decided to give The Steph in the City bag a try from Emmaline Bags. Janelle is another flawless designer and her bags are always spectacular. I bought this pattern ages ago, but felt is was a little too advanced for me at the time. I've progressed enough now that I had no trouble with it.  And it's awesome! This bag has an adjustable strap and an optional zip top or magnetic closure. I went with the zipper for the extra security. There is a divided patch pocket inside plus an inside zippered pocket, I do love me some pockets! It's big without being too big and has really fun pleats on the bottom for character. It also has a "belt" that wraps around the bag and connects to a shiny o-ring. I also love shiny things on my bags. This really is another great pattern that will be repeated by yours truly when the holiday sewing slows down! And we finally saw the sun for a snippet of time this morning, so I got some semi-decent pictures! Hope mom loves it.

Such a fun print!



A little Alison Glass on the inside (be still my heart!)

Zip top
I've been busy with some other goodies, but can't share until the holiday gifting is all done. Expect one giant post about holiday sewing in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List