Search This Blog

Saturday, December 6, 2014

#IGMINISWAP #KAYSGROUP

A few months ago I came across a post on Instagram for a miniquilt swap. It was right around the time that I had just started joining swaps, so of course I had to jump right in! There was almost a 3 month window of creating time, so I had no worries that this swap would be easy and fun. Well, as the deadline loomed closer and closer and my creative spark grew smaller and smaller, I started to panic just a bit.

I had no ideas for my partner, who is pretty awesome by the way. I had assumed they would pair people up with similar experience, so I was a bit intimidated because I am more of a wannabe quilter then anything else. My partner appears to be pretty advanced...so the tears commenced.

I had no ideas, I had no confidence, I had very little time....so I did what so many of us do. I shopped my stash of books and fabrics...and I finally remembered this tutorial from Jeni Baker. HSTs! I can do those! With a plan and some fun fabric choices, I finally got to work and this was the final product...I named the quilt "A Trip to OZ" It seems appropriate because my partner lives in Australia, so the mini is literally taking a trip to Oz, plus it reminded me of a whirlwind...spinning out of control like poor Dorothy in the tornado to Oz. I would have loved to quilt spirals on it, but that is a lesson for another day. I just did simple straight lines in a longer stitch length, following the diamond shapes.


And for the back I used one of my favorite polka dot prints ever. I have no idea what it's called, and I'm pretty sure it's from Hobby Lobby years ago, but it's very soft and pretty and I had just enough to back this mini.
And one very ugly name tag as well. I've seen some really pretty ones on IG and I must learn how to make a nicer one. This is just scrap fabric and a laundry proof sharpie. I had never labeled a quilt before, so I was again clueless...always more to learn!

As part of the swap package I also sent my partner my Rainbow Roadtrip case She had posted a very sad looking travel sewing case that was "on it's last leg", so I felt the Roadtrip case was a nice extra. Plus, it was really meant for a quilter with that fab text fabric. She should be receiving the package next week hopefully, and I'm hoping she loves it! I was happy with the end result, and I learned quite a bit from the whole process. Will I be joining another quilt swap anytime soon? Yes, I will...a rainbow quilt swap is starting up on Monday and I'm pretty psyched. Sometimes I need a deadline to get something exciting started in the craft room...until then it will be all Christmas gifts, which I will show off here if Indiana ever sees another sunny day so I can get some pretty pictures!

Stupid gray skies all day everyday....blah! At least I have pretty fabrics to brighten things up. Be sure to stop by next week It's Sew Mama Sew giveaway day on the 8th  and I should have a nice bundle of happiness for someone to win!


2 comments:

  1. Your mini is beautiful - and I love the road trip case you made too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List